Five questions to ponder as you set those New Years Resolutions
1. Are they specific? My first big goal was to write a Best Selling book. The first step towards achieving this was to write on an A4 Page – “I am a Best Selling Author.” Note – this is written in the brains language – Positive, Present tense and Personal.
2. Have you set a deadline? Every dream must have a deadline, or you could end up in the “gonna-doer” category. In the contest of writing a Best Seller; I wrote “Manuscript finished by May 25th” on another A4 Sheet.
3. Have you enough reasons why you want to achieve your dream? Remember the more reasons, the more motivated
4. Are those reasons a reflection of your values and interests? Goals must be a reflection of values and interests if you really want to be motivated. Ask yourself the following question to cross check – “If you had 48 hours to live; would you take timeout for your goals?” This is the ultimate test of the passion underpinning your dream.
5. Are your goals a reflection of your dreams or motivated by the “Jones!” Try this challenge – I am going to offer you two deals (I) a new job that carries a €50,000 salary – all of your colleagues are earning €25,000 or (ii) a new job that carries a €100,000 salary – all of your colleagues are earning €250,000. Which deal would you accept – you can assume all other factors are equal?
Note – would it surprise you to hear that most people consider their response to question five – and a healthy minority select the first option?
About Kevin Kelly :
Kevin Kelly is an Internationally Acclaimed Motivational Speaker and authority on entrepreneurship, leadership, sales and personal excellence.He is also the author of many books including the Best Selling “How? When you don’t know how” and new business title, “Basics before Buzz.”
For more information http://www.kevinkellyunlimited.com